Are there any meaningful scenarios where HDD Guardian could be used without admin privileges?

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:13 AM
Edited Nov 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Question in the title...

I ask because - at least for me - HDD Guardian is not able to detect any drives if it is not executed with admin privileges. That means it basically exits immediately after telling this fact if run without admin privileges.

Is this behavior just particular to my system configuration (OS: Windows 7 Pro x64), perhaps?

Reasoning behind my question is that HDD Guardian does not enforce execution with admin privileges in its program manifest (it has <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />). I might ask the question in a different way: Is having the "asInvoker" execution level in the manifest instead of "requireAdministrator" intentional or an oversight?
Coordinator
Nov 27, 2016 at 2:55 PM
Indeed, you're right!

This is an "issue" related to a past scenario, where smartctl was working fine also without admin rights, providing only an incomplete data (some users without admin rights was using HDD Guardian), but, at least with Windows 7 and 10, is no more possible gather SMART data without these rights (I've not used Vista and 8, but I suspect that the situation is the same).

From the next version, and I'm sorry for who doesn't have admin privileges, HDD Guardian need these rights, so smartctl (and diskspd, used for little benchmarks) can work fine and also HDD Guardian can write his settings into the Program Files folder without crashing (another issue due to the missing rights).

Anyway, all betas that I've linked to you on the issues you have posted needs admin rights! ;)

Greetings,
Sam
Marked as answer by Eruestan on 11/27/2016 at 7:55 AM