How to know if a HDD is spinning ?

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:09 AM
I've just prepared a new PC with W10,
one SSD as system disk and 2 conventional HDD for data

I setup automatic spin down of disks after 40 minutes into power advanced settings
but I'm wondering how can I check if disks are actually stopped or not
(some access/program can keep them always spinning)

Which S.M.A.R.T. parameter can be used to check that?
I imagine "Start Stop Count" will increase each time a disk is stopped and restarted,
but how to check the status in real time??
Coordinator
Mar 30, 2016 at 7:35 AM
After some search, I can tell that is not possible to check in real time if the disk is spinning or not, but via smartctl is possible to get the state of disk: if you set the power mode in Manage -> Advanced, into Manage -> Output you can see into the information section the status of the disk (at the moment this value is not displayed in HDD Guardian).
Note that some disks keep spinning in idle state and, in rare occasions, also in sleep or standby mode (see here when is described "-n POWERMODE" command).
Marked as answer by Eruestan on 10/4/2016 at 1:26 PM
Mar 31, 2016 at 1:30 AM
I see

so I'd better to set Manage->Advanced->Power mode to Standby to avoid disks being prevented to go sleeping (spin-down)

actually my idea is just to make sure that disks can go sleeping after long inactivity time (1h or so) to reduce their wearing and power/heat
at the same time, I'm sure it is important to avoid too many spin up/down cycles as well,

maybe in the meantime I'll keep watching the Start/Stop count (ID4) of SMART data

thanks