WD MYBook 1230 USB External HDD (3TB) not recognized by HDD Guardian - Win 7

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:50 AM
Hi,

Totally newbie here although I have been using HDD Guardian (0.6.1) happily for several months.

I have recently changed my External (Backup) HDD from an elderly Seagate 1.5TB to a new Western Digital My Book 3TB.

Now HDD Guardian does not recognize the External HDD?

Any assistance to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

laopa
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Hi,

First try to update smartctl database from File -> Update smartctl database and then click on Rescan external devices. If this don't work, run HDD Guardian Toolbox and provide me the output of section called "USB scan", in this manner i can provide you an unofficial update of database that allow to see your device.

Greetings,
Sam
Dec 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Hi,

Hi,

I have updated and rescanned my devices and the WD MyBook is still not recognized. However what is weird is that it shows on the System Tab page.

I have tried to attach a copy of the Toolbox Scan output.

My reply email was rejected so can you advise of how to provide you with the scan report?
An internal error prevented us from posting. It has been reported to our team for analysis.
Thanks for getting back and offering to help.

Regards

Rowland
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Hi,

The Overview (and Manage) page is populated by asking to smartctl to detect attached devices; System page, instead, is populated asking directly to Windows the properties of detected devices. Unfortunately Windows can't provide SMART attributes for USB devices (and for the other the output is very limited)...

If you can't attach files you can do a copy/paste of the output directly on the discussion thread or using the pastebin online utility.

Greetings,
Sam
Dec 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Hi,

My dismal attempt at complying with the suggestion of using "pastebin".

http://pastebin.com/8Bt32VcZ

Here's hoping.

If all else fails, more instructions designed for a 3-5 year old might help.

Thanks again.

Regards

Rowland
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Work done!

Download the file called "drivedb.h" from here and replace the existing one into C:\Program Files (x86)\HDD Guardian 0.6.1\smartctl folder, then click on Rescan external devices from HDD Guardian.

Remember to not update smartctl database or your device disappear again, since this is not an official update of his database! ;)

Tell me if you need more help! ;)

Greetings,
Sam
Marked as answer by Eruestan on 1/2/2015 at 11:28 AM
Dec 22, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Hi,

Brilliant it now works perfectly.

Took me a while to work out how to actually download the file rather than the image but all is well now.

Thanks you very much for your support and assistance with my problem.

Our Best Wishes for the Festive Season and beyond.

Kind Regards

Rowland