Drives partially 'detectable' and daily (regular) email reports?

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM
Hello!

I've been using your HDD Guardian for quite some time, and it's been very very useful for me in monitoring the status of my file server.

However there were 2 drives which were partially detectable (i.e. not all info could be displayed - screenshot here: http://picpaste.com/2014-11-05_13-40-39-9boqDxWo.jpg). I'd be really grateful if you would help me to update the database?

USB Scan: http://pastebin.com/HjvJ9XsL
Smartctl Scan: http://pastebin.com/FKbv9JEQ

I have:
  1. (Internal) a WD 4TB connected via eSATA to the onboard controller, which is also connected to the Samsung SSD. The eSATA drive (/dev/sdb) can only display temperature info but not SMART attributes.
  2. (External) a WD 4TB connected via a USB3.0 enclosure for 4 other WD 4TB drives. The 2nd-4th drives can display full SMART info but somehow the 1st drive does not seem to show any SMART or temperature info. Would this be a limitation of the USB<->SATA controller?
Note: the CoveFS devices are Drivepool virtual drives

Many thanks for your help.

By the way, would there be an option to send regular (say daily) reports of the drives to a specified email address? My server's headless and it would be nice to keep tabs on the SMART status (for potential failure indicators) without opening a remote session.
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Hi!

About /dev/sdb: is very strange that model, interface and size don't appear in the list since on the smartctl output these informations are all available (maybe the eSATA interface is not full ready at startup?); I've also loaded this device as a virtual one on my system but all infos are displayed correctly. This can be fixed by updating also these fields (at this time they're "static") when a device is updated.
Another strange thing is that this device don't display thresholds on SMART table in despite of the fact that you're running HDD Guardian as administrator...

About /dev/sdd: yes, this can be a limitation of USB to SATA controller and in this case we have no chance to get drive SMART data.
If you want, and if you're used to smartctl, you can try to access to this device changing the "-d usbjmicon" option on command line with another provided by smartctl, but I don't think that you can access to any useful data.

I've already coded (I'm currently testing it) a weekly report routine; I can add also a daily option! ;)

I've noticed that on smartctl scan your Drivepool drives are not detected: can you send me another scan with these devices?
I want to see if they interfere with your eSATA drive and write the code that allow to discard these devices from the device list of HDD Guardian. ;)

Thanks,
Sam
Marked as answer by Eruestan on 3/19/2015 at 4:49 PM
Nov 5, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Hi Sam,

The Stablebit Drivepool devices were connected when I did the scan. I suppose they didn't show up because they are not physical devices, but just pooled partitions from /dev/sdd+sde+sdf+sdg. Is there anyway I can include these devices in the scan (as you mentioned)? It would be nice if these devices were hidden on the HDD Guardian List.

/dev/sdb: I think you are right, I refreshed HDD Guardian after a while (an hour) and the SMART attributes show up like the other drives (takes such a long time for the esata interface to ready?). Drive is actually the same model as the other 4TB drives, and it's connected to the same controller on the motherboard as the Samsung SSD in the device manager.

/dev/sdd: I've tried using the device usbjmicron option with smartctl but the result appears the same: http://pastebin.com/M8usgkm8

One interesting thing is that all drives and their SMART attributes can be loaded with Western Digital's Lifeguard Diagnostics. I wonder if they're using some special way to obtain the SMART info from their own drives...
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Hi,

Maybe, when ready, the two Drivepool devices are detected by smartctl as SCSI devices, so when launching Toolbox I think that devices should appears; from what I've see on the output you have provided me, smartctl detect two SCSI devices, but without any good prompt.
The only thing that I think is that Drivepool provides at startup two fake devices that in a second moment make "disappear" (or making it not fully available).
I can code a check that discards drives that reports on his model the string "COVECUBECoveFS", to make it disappear from HDD Guardian.

/dev/sdb: I'm not experienced with eSATA connection, so I don't know if it need a little to be ready, but at least now I know that also the other fields of devices list needs to be updated! ;)

/dev/sdd: try also to access using the other options "-d ata", "-d sat", "-d usbcypress" and "-d usbsunplus" (you can also refer to smartctl manual page for these options) and tell me if one of these works with your device.

I don't know which routine use WD LifeGuard, but maybe it access in a different manner compared to the default smartctl command for your external docking station.
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Hi Sam,

Drivepool devices: Thank you! That'll be awesome.

/dev/sdb: After much testing, I realised that the correct SMART attributes show up about half of the time smartctl is run. Sometimes the result is normal, sometimes it all shows up as UNKNOWN with weird Raw Values. I'm stumped.

/dev/sdd: I've sort-of given up on /dev/sdd. Interesting thing was I got the following result after using the -d ata option.
I hadn't disabled SMART as it says, but I've tried enabling it again. BUT the same result is shown. Perhaps it's a limitation of the controller.

[quote]
smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [i686-w64-mingw32-2012r2(64)] (sf-6.3-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Green (AF, SATA 6Gb/s)
Device Model: WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0
Serial Number: DCC4E0759680
Firmware Version: [No Information Found]
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: [No Information Found]
Local Time is: Fri Nov 07 18:06:37 2014 CST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
              Enabled status cached by OS, trying SMART RETURN STATUS cmd.
SMART support is: Disabled

SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
(override with '-T permissive' option)
[/quote]
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Hi,

I'm not experienced with eSATA interface, but his behavior is very strange... This make me keep the old reliable USB! ;)
It seems that about your first external drive of the pool we can't do nothing, this is definitely an interface fault...
About Drivepool drives I've already coded a workaround, now I've to code the full refresh of the data in drives list and also the new option form e-mail warnings.

As soon as possible I give you a beta version to test if it fits your needs! ;)
Nov 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM
That'll be great, looking forward to beta test, thanks!
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Hi!

After some work I've uploaded here the beta build number 5 of version 0.6.2 where I've added some features on mail reports; tell me if you have more suggestions or if you encounter bugs! ;)
Coordinator
Nov 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Hi again!

The build number 5 contain a little bug: here I've uploaded the last build that works correctly.

Greetings,
Sam