Loosing APM settings with shutdown

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Hi,
first of all, many thanks for this great program and the helpful documentation as well.

There's only a little issue. I've changed the APM setting from 128 (default value, which produces a lot load/unload cycles) to 192 (which resolves this for me). When I restart my computer using the controls in Windows, the program keeps my APM settings. But when I shut the computer down, the next day the APM settings get lost respectively switch back to the default of 128.
Has anyone some suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
wlha
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Hi!

It seems that some disks (WD?) reset to default APM when the system fully restart (not on reboot, but on a full shut down); the only thing that I can suggest is to set APM level to 0 to disable it.
Tell me if the problem persist, in this case I can add a box into the section to tell to HDD Guardian the APM level that you want to keep on your disk.

Thanks,
Sam
Sep 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Hi,

thank you for the fast reply. Disk is a HGST Z7K500, that is well known for producing a lot of load/unload cycles.
I don't want to disable APM completely, because the drive is built into a laptop. Some kind of energy saving and head parking (prevention of head crashes) should remain. But not as aggressive as it is done by default.

Maybe it's possible to introduce a switch/checkbox that sets the user defined APM level (in my case 192) every time HDD Guardian is started. Combined with the autostart option this could resolve my issue.

Thanks in advance.
wlha
Coordinator
Jan 5 at 1:49 PM
On version 0.7.1 APM setting is automatically saved and restored during HDD Guardian startup! ;)
Marked as answer by Eruestan on 1/5/2017 at 6:49 AM