Drive detection on LSI HBA

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Edited Sep 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Hello guys,

thanks for this nice GUI for the great tool. Unfortunately, drives connected through my LSI HBA 9300-8i controller are not listed in hddguardian.

I can see in the output of toolbox.exe that smartctl for the disks in question is invoked with "-d scsi" argument rather than with "-d sat", which show correct (full) information for these disks.

Best Regards,
Jan
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Hi!

To make a workaround for your controller, please send me the output of panel "System information" (at lest how Windows call LSI controller) of HDD Guardian Toolbox utility that you find into HDD Guardian main folder; with this I can tell to HDD Guardian that when it detects your controller and SCSI disks, it substitute the "-d scsi" with "-d sat" option.

Thanks,
Sam
Sep 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Hi Sam,

my controller is based on LSI SAS 3008 chip:

Win32_SCSIController
Name: "LSI Adapter, SAS3 3008 Fury -StorPort" (missing space behind dash is not a typo).

Thank You!
Jan
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Hi!

I'm sorry for the late reply, but some improvements require much more time than I thought...
Here I've uploaded a beta version with support for your controller, try it and tell me if it works (note that some new options are not working now)!

Thanks,
Sam
Sep 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Hi Sam,

Thank you for the beta version, however, disks connected through the pci-e controller are still not being detected.
C:\hddguardian_b1\smartctl>smartctl --scan -d scsi
/dev/sde -d scsi # /dev/sde, SCSI device
/dev/sdf -d scsi # /dev/sdf, SCSI device
/dev/sdg -d scsi # /dev/sdg, SCSI device
/dev/sdh -d scsi # /dev/sdh, SCSI device
/dev/sdi -d scsi # /dev/sdi, SCSI device
/dev/sdj -d scsi # /dev/sdj, SCSI device
/dev/sdk -d scsi # /dev/sdk, SCSI device
/dev/sdl -d scsi # /dev/sdl, SCSI device

C:\hddguardian_b1\smartctl>exit

::: 8 SCSI devices detected :::

::: Scan device /dev/sde :::
smartctl -a -g all /dev/sde -d scsi

Microsoft Windows [Verze 6.1.7601] 
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Vçechna pr va vyhrazena.

C:\hddguardian_b1\smartctl>smartctl -a -g all /dev/sde -d scsi
smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [i686-w64-mingw32-win7(64)-sp1] (sf-6.3-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

User Capacity:        3 000 592 982 016 bytes [3,00 TB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Physical block size:  4096 bytes
LB provisioning type: unreported, LBPME=0, LBPRZ=0
Logical Unit id:      0x50014ee2b0ca296f
Serial number:        WD-WCAWZ1103342
Device type:          disk
Local Time is:        Tue Sep 16 21:37:32 2014 SE
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Disabled or Not Supported
Read Cache is:        Enabled
Writeback Cache is:   Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK
Current Drive Temperature:     33 C

Error Counter logging not supported

[GLTSD (Global Logging Target Save Disable) set. Enable Save with '-S on']
No self-tests have been logged

C:\hddguardian_b1\smartctl>exit
Best Regards,
Jan
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Hi Jan,

Can you send me the full output of "Smartctl scan" and "System information" (you can save these outputs as files) of Toolbox?
Maybe they're some things that I've missed... HDD Guardian provides any device (or error) when run?

Thanks,
Sam
Sep 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Hi Sam,

Sure thing. Please check the following links:

Smartctl output:
http://pastebin.com/FdQtZjiM

System Information:
http://pastebin.com/KB2NBaib

Best Regards,
Jan
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2014 at 7:19 AM
Hi Jan,

Thank you very much! This evening I'll upload the new build!

Greetings,
Sam
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Hi Jan,

I think that I've fixed the bug! I've uploaded beta 2 here, so tell me if it works! ;)

Thanks,
Sam
Marked as answer by janjuza on 9/18/2014 at 2:03 PM
Sep 18, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Hi Sam,

I confirm that the implemented solution is working! Good job :)

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Jan
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Hi Jan,

Nice! Note that on the About window, on Contributors page I've added a mention to you for helping me adding support for LSI Fury! ;)

Greetings,
Sam
Oct 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Hi everyone,
First off, thanks for such a nice front end interface for the smartctl program!
I'm having the exact same problem as Jan did with my HBA controller. I am not able to gather proper information with your front end GUI. Using the CLI utility by also using the "-d sat" option I am able to properly detect and scan my drives. I'm hoping you may be able to do similar magic for me! I'm super excited at the prospects of your front end pending it will function properly with my HBA's too!

EDITI did try both the betas you posted links for and neither worked properly.

Here is my output:
http://pastebin.com/yKygTaF2

http://pastebin.com/vbjLqe4N

Best Regards,
Conan
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Hi Conan,

Unfortunately your output of Toolbox (Smartctl scan) seems truncated, so I don't know how smartctl detect your device under HBA controller... Can you repost the full output? After that I think it's possible to find a solution! ;)

Thanks,
Sam
Oct 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Hi Sam,
Thanks for the speedy response! Sorry about that! I apparently didn't copy and paste properly. Please take a look at the full output here.

http://pastebin.com/9sKxUswT
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Hi Conan,

I've uploaded here the build # 4 of version 0.6.2, where I've write the code that fix your issue; tell me if all works fine! ;)

Thanks,
Sam
Oct 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Sam,
Man, thanks for the speedy response!!! Everything is working great now and as expected. Thanks again for the great work on this project and such a timely response! If there is anything else you need from me that might be beneficial please let me know!

Conan
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Only one thing Conan: your HBA controller is an onboard one or is a separate card? If is a separate card, who is the manufacturer and model?
These informations can be useful to add it to the list of controllers supported by HDD Guardian. ;)

Thanks,
Sam
Oct 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Hi Sam,
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been out for a few days.
The HBA is a separate card. It is a Dell PERC H200E. It utilizes a LSI chip and may likely be re-branded by other OEM's under other models.

Let me know if there is anything else you need from me on this to help along the way!

Conan
Nov 16, 2014 at 6:14 AM
Edited Nov 16, 2014 at 6:17 AM
I am using a LSI 9211-8i based HBA (DELL H310) and apparently HDD guardian is reading smart result with "-d scsi" and results are wrong (with temperature of 255 degrees, absurdly huge attribute values, etc.) but I can get correct smart output with "-d sat" when run smartctl in command prompt. I tried build 4 above and it doesn't work as expected. Is there a way to force hdd guardian using user defined command line when query smartctl?

Sorry for some reasons I can't provide you toolbox and smartctl outputs. Although hdd guardian is running on a computer with Windows Server 2012 R2.

Cheers, Bill
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2014 at 7:32 AM
Hi Bill,

HDD Guardian read smart results as SCSI because your drives are detected by smartctl as SCSI (to get drives list HDD Guardian use the smartctl command "--scan -d [ata|scsi|csmi|usb]".
To read correctly drives attached to your controller I have to add his name to the code that switch the command from "-d scsi" to "-d sat"; from Toolbox the only thing that I need is the string(s) under the section "Win32_SCSIController"; after that I can code your controller and make a build to test it.
I know that at this moment this is not a very simple solution, indeed I have put on my roadmap to add a section that allow to add unknown controllers, maybe with a wizard or something similar.

Thanks for your collaboration,
Sam
Nov 19, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Thank you very much for reply. Here's the information you need:

Name : PERC H310 for Dell Precision

Thank you again for your amazing quality of work :D
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Hi Bill

Sorry for the late reply, but I've completely rewritten the code for controllers to make the whole section more flexible...
You can get the beta build number 5 here where I've added your controller to the list (now available on Settings window); tell me if it works fine!

Thanks,
Sam
Coordinator
Nov 28, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Hi again!

The build number 5 contain a little bug: here I've uploaded the last build that works correctly.

Greetings,
Sam
Nov 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Thank you for betas. I tried out beta 6 and 7 just now and it doesn't recognize devices anymore, but shows "No devices found, exiting now". I'm not sure but I do remember I met the similar problem when I was testing beta 4. HDD Guardian doesn't even show up main screen.

Here are toolbox results for your information. I need to erase some information(mainly hostname) with question marks. Sorry
Smartctl: http://pastebin.com/0nYhQC2B
System: http://pastebin.com/MsXCGGBX
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Hi Bill,

I think that I've solved this issue, you can find the new build (8) at the link that I've already provided before.
I've also added some debug points: if the application don't work, please run it by command line adding the option "-savedebug": it create a text file on your desktop with all lines of debug that are reached until it exit or an error is generated (but I hope that now works all fine).

I've noticed that you have two RAID controllers ("Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller" and "PERC H310 for Dell Precision"), so if you experience a duplicate of devices or some wrong outputs (because I suspect that you devices can be intercepted using the "-d ata" of MS SSC that come before PERC H310), try to delete from File -> Settings -> RAID controllers the item of "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller" and then try to restart HDD Guardian.

Tell me if this build solve your problems! ;)

Thanks,
Sam
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Seems my server doesn't like HDD Guardian :) (<- that is just a joke) When I start program it shows error and I hit Continue but no drive is detected. I tried to delete all other controller and leave H310 alone but no luck. Reason I use Storage spaces is because my array was built with a parity pool not H310.

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Edited Dec 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM
It seems that an error occurred after loading the list of controllers; can you give me the details of the error that you have encountered?
I think that it can provide me more information about where the error occurs (and maybe also the line of code where is the error).
Since the routine is totally rewritten, some errors can pop up, sorry! ;)

Thanks,
Sam
Dec 7, 2014 at 3:55 AM
Coordinator
Dec 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM
I've uploaded beta 10: I think that I've discovered where was the error; anyway, I've added also some debug points just in case some errors pop up...
Tell me how it works! ;)